Tallow Chandlers Hall Summer Venue, EC4
The Tallow Chandlers’ Company can trace its roots back to its formation in the 13th century when it was originally formed as a religious fraternity, gaining full livery status in 1462. The Company has been on this site since 1476 and the present Hall dates from 1672, making it one of the three oldest Livery Halls in the City. It sits on the buried walls of the Roman Governor’s Palace and is but a stone’s throw from the London Stone, the ancient heart of London.
The secluded courtyard is entered by a discreet entrance. Up to 120 guests can be entertained for al fresco drinks during the warmer months.
History of the hall:
We first moved onto Dowgate Hill in July 1476, buying what was probably a merchant’s house from Dame Margaret Alley for £166 13s 4d. That was developed into our first Hall, which served us well until its destruction by fire. All that remains of it are two large beams, which are currently in the cellars under the present Beadle’s office.
The current Hall was probably designed by the Company’s surveyor, Captain John Caines, under the guidance of the surveyor and polymath Robert Hooke. It was finally complete in 1677, and has been in continuous use since then.
Apart from the loss of the original musician’s gallery, the Hall’s basic size, shape and layout has changed little over the years. We were particularly fortunate during World War II – bomb damage led to some minor repairs and rebuilding, but the Hall itself survived largely unscathed.
Nowadays, the Hall has a well-deserved reputation as one of the most welcoming and well preserved of London’s livery halls.
Bespoke summer packages available upon request!
The Hall has full internet access, and supports the use of the usual briefing and audio-visual equipment. Full cloakroom facilities are available.
There’s full disabled access to the Courtyard and limited access to the Hall and Parlour on the first floor. The historic nature of the Hall precludes insertion of a lift to the Court Room on the second floor.