Royal College of Art Venue Hire SW7
The Royal College of Art is an icon of the art and design world and one of the world’s best known postgraduate universities in the field. Located opposite Kensington Gardens, next to the acclaimed Royal Albert Hall, its Grade–II listed building was designed in the early 1960s and has been hailed ‘an extraordinary building contextually that respects the Victorian buildings around it’. The college’s prime location and clean modernist design make it ideally suited to a multitude of occasions from receptions and dinners to product launches, conferences and private views. With extensive ‘blank canvas’ event spaces which can easily be reconfigured to suit, the Royal College of Art is a perfect platform for themed events, branding and installations.
The venue has a wide variety of event spaces suitable for many events:
- ENTRANCE GALLERY- Natural daylight floods into the ever-popular Entrance Gallery from the impressive domed skylight, a superb feature of its modernist design. This ground floor space is perfect for reception style events and can be hired in conjunction with the other function areas, as an excellent pre-event welcome and reception space.
- UPPER GULBENKIEAN GALLERY- The Upper Gulbenkian Gallery is a classic white space with a four metre high ceiling, situated on the ground floor, which can be hired separately or in conjunction with the Lower Gulbenkian Gallery. Its modernist design incorporates a void between these two galleries to create a balcony effect – very handy for projections and large-scale branding!
- LOWER GULBENKIAN GALLERY- Located on the lower ground floor of the Royal College of Art, The Lower Gulbenkian Gallery is a clean white space which can be hired separately or in conjunction with the Upper Gulbenkian. Its modernist design features supporting columns and a raised platform which makes use of the additional ceiling height provided by the space between these two galleries.
- HENRY MOORE GALLERY- The flagship of the Royal College of Art, The Henry Moore Gallery boasts an impressive 709 square metres of versatile events space, with a stunning Terrazzo floor and plenty of excellent natural light. The white space offers you a ‘blank canvas’, ideal for themed events and personal branding and installations. An impressive and convenient screening system allows interior walls to be fitted as required, increasing display space and allowing the creation of enclosed projection areas and intimate areas to break up large events. This versatile setting is a very popular choice for exhibitions, award ceremonies, product launches and première parties.
- COURTYARD GALLERIES- On the lower ground floor, three interconnecting spaces, which can be hired individually or all together, make up the Courtyard Galleries. These areas all overlook the college’s charming courtyard.
- LECTURE THEATRE- The Lecture Theatre is situated on the lower ground floor and features fixed tiered seating, ideal for talks and conferences. The theatre is air-conditioned and well equipped.
- SENIOR COMMON ROOM- This exclusive room has been described as “one of the best kept secrets in London” by its charmed patrons. With its unique style and exclusive feel, it easily lends itself to canapé and drinks receptions, fine dinners, product launches, meetings with gravitas and many other special occasions. The Senior Common Room overlooks the Royal Albert Hall and is comprised of a reception area, dining room, lounge and bar area. The space houses part of the College’s famous art collection, including works by the likes of Peter Blake, Lucian Freud, David Hockney, Tracey Emin and Barbara Hepworth.
Conference, Event, Exhibition, LectureProduct, launchReception
Event type: exhibitions, launches, receptions, conferences, lectures, dinners.
Three exhibition spaces: the Entrance Gallery, the Upper Gulbenkian Gallery, the Lower Gulbenkian Gallery.
Lecture theatre: 136 seated.
Senior Common Room: 76 seated, 200 reception style.
Other facilities: catering by arrangement. Recommended caterers.
The gallery is best suited to reception style events, such as product launches, private views, and pre- and post- Albert Hall concert receptions.
The Entrance Gallery can be hired in conjunction with the other galleries.
Upper Gulbenkian Gallery Dining, Reception
The Upper Gulbenkian Gallery can be hired in conjunction with the Lower Gulbenkian, allowing for separate areas within a function.
Lower Gulbenkian Gallery Banquet, Reception 150
Lecture Theatre One Theatre
Lecture Theatre One is accessed from the ground level and has recently been refurbished including the instalment of air-conditioning and the latest technical audio and visual equipment.
Available for use for public and College lectures, presentations and film/video screenings.
The Senior Common Room Banquet, Dining, Reception 200