One Birdcage Walk Venue Hire SW1
Behind the handsome Edwardian façade of redbrick and Portland stone is the headquarters of London’s leading authority on all aspects of mechanical engineering, ImechE. Inside you will find a range of dedicated conference, meeting and event spaces, including a fully equipped, high-tech Lecture Theatre, traditional rooms with heritage, and over a dozen modern boardrooms well suited to 21st century corporate needs.
The venue has 14 brilliant event spaces, that include:
- LIBRARY- The grand Elizabethan style library, clad in warm oak, has stunning views over St James’s Park. Located on the second floor, the library houses one of the UK’s best engineering collections and is a unique space for drinks receptions and dinners.
- MARBLE HALL AND GALLERY- The Marble Hall & adjoining Gallery adds a superior elegance to registration and refreshments for events held in the Lecture Theatre. Located on the lower ground floor, the unique Venetian palazzo styled Marble Hall and the adjoining Gallery is also a perfect space for evening receptions and dinners when it can be hired separately from the Lecture Theatre.
- DAVID NAPIER ROOM-n The David Napier room enjoys natural light and modern furnishings. The room is ideal for meetings, presentations or receptions. It can be used in conjunction with the Harry Ricardo room, with the convenience of inter-connecting doors.
- JOSEPH WHITWORTH ROOM- The Joseph Whitworth room is situated on the ground floor and enjoys natural light and an excellent location. Along the impressive Presidential corridor it is ideal for smaller meetings or as breakout space for larger events.
- MANUFACTURING- The Manufacturing room, situated at the front of the building on the first floor has abundant natural light and views across St James’s Park. Being one of the largest rooms, the Manufacturing room is flexible and can be arranged to suit a variety of needs, from breakfast presentations to training courses or as a syndicate room for larger conferences.
- LECTURE THEATRE- The Lecture Theatre is fully modernised and comes equipped with specialist audio-visual technology and tiered seating for up to 210 people. A purpose built top table for six presenters and lectern with microphones makes it ideal for conferences, announcements and product launches. Hire of the Lecture Theatre also includes exclusive use of the Marble Hall and Gallery for registration, refreshments and standing buffets and a dedicated technician for the duration of your event.
- CHARLES PARSONS ROOM- The Charles Parsons room enjoys natural daylight and can accommodate board meetings for up to ten people. The room is named after Charles Parsons, the inventor of the steam engine.
- TRANSPORT ROOM-The Transport Room is perfect for training sessions, group work or meetings. This room also interconnects with the Environment and Energy rooms. Available as a suite when hired with the Energy, Environment and Education rooms, or a combination of individual rooms, providing a flexible and functional space for your event.
- FRANK WHITTLE ROOM- One of the larger heritage rooms, the Frank Whittle room can be used for meetings for up to 18 people or as a lunch or breakout room when booked in conjunction with the Manufacturing room.
- FREDERICK LANCHESTER ROOM- he Frederick Lanchester room is a boardroom ideally sized for smaller business meetings.
- GEORGE STEPHENSON ROOM- The George Stephenson room, located on the ground floor next to reception is ideally suited for business meetings. Due to its close proximity to the Lecture Theatre it can also be used as a speakers’ room or for conference breakout sessions.
- HARRY RICARDO- The Harry Ricardo room on the fourth floor is light, bright and has views of Horse Guards Parade and St James’s Park. The room is ideal for meetings or as a catering room when used in conjunction with the adjoining David Napier room.
- EDUCATION ROOM- Modern boardroom meeting room with presentation facilities and natural daylight
- COUNCIL ROOM- Our Edwardian styled oak panelled Council Room offers natural light and is located on the second floor. This impressive room is ideal for meetings, presentations and dinners
We have a range of event spaces suitable for hosting drinks receptions, including the stunning Elizabethan style Library with views over St James’s Park.
Up to 210 guests Up to 60 guests
Library – 200 guests Council Room – 60 guests
Marble Hall and Gallery – 210 guests Manufacturing Room – 60 guests
David Napier – 50 guests
CONFERENCES, LECTURES AND SEMINARS
Our largest space is our fixed tiered Lecture Theatre which can seat up to 210 guests, We also have a range of smaller rooms which can host theatre style events from 40-60 guests.
Up to 210 guests Up to 60 guests
Lecture Theatre – 210 guests Council Room – 60 guests
Manufacturing Room – 60 guests
David Napier – 50 guests
We have a range of flexible meeting spaces for you to choose from including our Council Room which can seat up to 30 guests in a u-shape layout or cabaret style layout.
Our venue has a range of stunning spaces to host private dinner, ranging from our Elizabethan style Library overlooking St James’s Park to our new Christopher Hinton room located in our Presidential Suite.
Up to 120 guests Up to 48 guests
Library – 120 guests Council Room – 48 guests
Marble Hall and Gallery – 120 guests Manufacturing Room – 48 guests
George Stephenson – 20 guests
We have been busy planning for re-opening the venue and wanted to share some of the measures we have put in place.
Changes to operations
Following Government advice, we have implemented many changes around the building to ensure all guests and employees are safe whilst at One Birdcage Walk.
Ensuring physical distancing
Wherever possible, we have implemented a one-way system or clearly marked areas to allow physical distancing in common areas of the building. All our event spaces have also been assessed to enable physical distancing.
An important part of any event, catering has been reviewed so that we can provide pre-packaged options for delegates to collect and enjoy in their own space. We also want to assure you that our catering staff will be wearing PPE when setting up catering.
The health and safety of everyone we work with or visits our venue is our priority, so we will continue to follow the guidance of the correct authorities and proactively support ongoing efforts to contain the virus.
We are still here to help, so please feel free to contact us with any questions or enquiries you may have. For now, stay safe, keep in touch and we look forward to welcoming you soon.